Building a low power web server
- Created: Sunday, 19 August 2007 18:14
- Last Updated: Sunday, 03 November 2013 10:27
- Written by Alf Høgemark
- Hits: 19983
This site is running on an energy efficient / low power web server, consuming 25 Watts. I have built the web server using off the shelf hardware and software.
The hardware is based on VIA12000EG motherboard, and the software is based on Linux (Ubuntu) and Apache HTTP Server.
The following hardware is used :
- Via EPIA EN12000G motherboard with Eden V4/1200Mhz CP
- Morex Super 3677 Mini-ITX cabinet, including 62,4W PSU
- Corsair 1024 MB RAM
- Hitachi Travelstar 5K160 160GB harddisk, this is used as the data disk
- Corsair Flash Voyager 4Gb USB2.0 stick, this is used for holding the operating system.
The following software is used :
- Joomla 1.5 as content management system
- Apache Tomcat running on JDK 1.6
- Apache HTTP Server, version 2.2.x
- Ubuntu Linux, currently Ubuntu8.04LTS (it took only 90 minutes to upgrade from 7.04 va 7.10 to 8.04, using do-release-upgrade)
Measured energy consumption
I have measured the energy consumption for 10 months, and it is fluctuating between 25 and 27 Watt.
So I think it is a nice energy efficient machine, and deserves the term low power web server.
I have recently built a powerful web server, using an Intel Quad Core CPU, and measured the energy consumption, and was quite suprised at the fairly low energy consumption of about 100 Watt.